Monday 23 May 2011

May 23

Finding a job is really an excellent way to develop your EI (i.e., emotional intelligence)!  A job hunt requires you to know who you really are and what you are all about.  Not only that.  You, the job hunter, need to be able to "read" the needs of prospective employers.  That's not much different than being in the work-world itself!  Of course, if you already have gained significant experience in the work-world, you have an extra edge over many others, as you can apply this extra work experience to your search- EI in one of its best applications!

If you're like me, there's an extra level of difficulty to consider: finding a job in a totally different culture and on a different continent.  In my case, I'm attempting to move my career to the Greater Toronto Area, Canada.  So far, it's turning out to be a challenge as I attempt to identify the major companies there, contacts who may be of some help, and any initiatives or projects which might be starting up that would present new opportunities.  The rules in many ways are not the same as in the West.  And not being there in person to make contact is certainly a huge "speed bump" in any job search.  But I am hopeful.  I am focused on what I want and where I want to be.  It's just a matter of connecting the dots which will get the proverbial wheels in motion.

I will be adding to this blog once or twice every week until my job search has reached its ultimate goal (a job, of course).  I expect this blog to help keep me focused and positive throughout this experience.  Please feel free to leave me comments including any suggestions or advice.  Let's help each other out as much as we possibly can!

To my fellow job seekers, happy and successful job hunting!

Regards,

Len Grady
Len Grady

No comments:

Post a Comment